Monday, January 5, 2009

Nora, man I love her

Today I had to take Nora to the doctor today to have a lung re-check. We had taken her to the ER on Tuesday for breathing issues. Luckily, things are fine and under control again. I hope we don't have another asthma outburst for a LONG time.

Anyway, on the way home Nora was talking about the book her teacher was reading. It was about Ruby Bridges and Martin Luther King Jr. She was telling me, with great feeling in her voice, that there used to be white restaurants and black restaurants and white schools and black schools. We then talked about Rosa Parks and how she got arrested -- Nora told me how Rosa sat in the front of the bus and how she refused to get up because she was tired and didn't want to work anymore.

Then I asked her if she knew why there were black restaurants and white restaurants and black schools and white schools. She didn't. I told her that many white people believed that black people were not as good or important. How many white people were afraid of black people and thought black people were bad and shouldn't be allowed to do the things white people could.

I said that some people, even today, think that the color of your skin makes you a good or a bad person.

She looked at me incredulously and said,

"Don't they know it has to do with their character?"

Couldn't have said it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment